Sunday, December 17, 2006

Update on the Tunnels!

Hey guys, hope everyone is having a good winter break. Happy holidays and make sure u hit the mountains. From the comments I've recieved and from other feedback here are a few things that I think I did not cover in my tunnels article. For one, I want to dispel one myth that the tunnel in front of the Main Gym has been blocked of. Thats not true, cause thats exactly what people told me when I first tried it. Its best summed up by the following comment -"The entrance in front of Main Gym is NOT sealed. It is just very heavy and in order to open it you gotta use a wedge like a branch or something to gain leverage. You probably need 2 people, 1 to lift and the other to control the wedge. Then you slide the cover in the direction of the gym (west) - this is to manipulate it in such a manner so that the chain doesn't stop you from getting in. Have fun everyone and don't let a little work stop you from gettin in!" I can back that up since I been in there rite before we went home.
Secondly, on the matter of why the tunnels were built, I think this pretty much sums it up -"the assertion that the tunnels served a security or anti-riot purpose is admittedly ancient (I started at UCSD in 1984). The truth, while far less alluring, at least gives some indication of the dangers involved before one descends. The tunnels were built for running utilities around the campus as it existed when built, and always has been used in that capacity. There are high pressure steam and water pipes, electricity, network, and telecom cables, and alarms all over the place. Unless they have changed a lot since I was student (doubtful), keeping those things in mind, the tunnels are perfectly safe, if increasingly hard to enter. I went about dozen times or more during my student days."
As for security down ther, I have heard that there are motion detectors down there but they are big and easy to avoid. I will make sure I update the map with the location of these devices in the near future as soon as I get back.
Finally as for tunnel experiences, anonymous got it right "I'm not gonna lie, I've boned countless chicks down in the tunnels and the ambient heat of the elaborate pipes coupled with the musty smell of asbestos and dust creates a heavenly aura unmatched by anything I've experienced to date." Peace.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes we need the map, locations of alarm triggers would be great.

4:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where exactly is the entrance? Main gym as in the one next to Muir?

9:14 PM  
Blogger Get Now a Best Health Insurance policy - Best Health Insurance Advisor said...

Nice Article!...
Health Insurance Plans by ICICI Lombard Covers Covid-19. Our Medical Insurance Plans are available for family, individuals and senior citizens. Assured Cashless Approvals with 4 hours

10:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home